Red Letter Days Increases Email Revenue 10%, Leapfrogs Competitors with Return Path Certification
Set up in 1989, Red Letter Days pioneered the concept of giving memorable experiences as gifts. Since then, Red Letter Days has flourished, offering hundreds of experiences across the UK with something to suit every taste, occasion and budget – from a pampering day at a luxury spa, a champagne hot air balloon ride to truly once in a lifetime experiences like an exhilarating ride in a Formula One car, Red Letter Days aim to cater for anyone’s dream day.
Operating in a competitive marketspace, Red Letter Days approached Return Path with an objective to drive up subscriber engagement by improving its Inbox Placement Rates (IPR), while also locking in the benefits of the email best practices that already formed part of its email strategy.
Following a successful application to become Return Path Certified, Red Letter Days’ key performance indicators across their email programme speak for themselves:
- Return Path’s Inbox Insight subscriber engagement data shows that the first benefit of Certification was a significant improvement1 in RLD’s IPR. Previously, around 25% of RLD’s email had been delivered – but not to their subscribers’ inboxes. Since Certification, this metric has improved markedly, and IPR is now near to 100%.
- RLD’s campaign reporting data reflected this improvement, showing a major uplift in both open and click-through rates:
- As a result, RLD has been able to increase its broadcast activity by 30% since Certification with no increase in negative engagement metrics such as spam complaints.
- Bounce activity has simultaneously reduced to a quarter of previous levels as a result of more favourable spam filter treatment and improved sender reputation.
“Since becoming Return Path Certified, we have seen a massive improvement in our email programme. Open rates for marketing campaigns have almost doubled and so have click-through rates. Attributable revenue from email has increased by 10%. We’re seeing better engagement from our customers, which has a direct impact on the number of reviews we have on our site, allowing us to better tailor the experiences Red Letter Days has to offer.” Joshna Patel, Head of Online at Red Letter Days.
Read the full case study here.
1. All data is based on a comparison of the performance of RLD’s email program for the 90-day period before Certification was activated (“Pre-Cert”) against the 90-day period after Certification was activated (“Post-Cert”) Note that all metrics are presented as indexes, where the pre-Cert performance is shown as 100, and the post-Cert performance is shown as relative to this base.
About Guy Hanson
Guy is a passionate advocate for intelligent use of customer data to drive responsive email programs. With a knowledge base that now spans nearly 15 years, he is a global e-mail expert and thought leader. Leading Return Path’s International Professional Services consulting team, Guy has worked with a broad range of clients across 5 continents to improve their email delivery, subscriber engagement and revenue generated. Outside of work, Guy is the Chairman of the DMA Email Council. In this role, he works with industry peers including brands, agencies, and service providers to promote the best interests of the email industry to a broader audience. He is also a regular contributor to the industry press.