Return Path’s Anniversary: Nine is Fine
On Saturday Return Path celebrated its ninth anniversary. I hope you’ll indulge me a bit as I go ahead and admit that I am biased, of course, but that I think this year may be our best yet.
A few highlights:
- This year we published more original research than ever before – including a survey of how consumers feel about the deluge of holiday email sent each year, studies on how top-brand marketers treat subscribers during sign up and unsubscribe, and a benchmark report based on our cooperative reputation data network.
- That last study, the Reputation Benchmark Report, found a strong correlation between our Sender Score – the measure of the reputation of the nearly every IP on the planet – and the delivered rates for a given IP. In short, IPs with low Sender Scores had bad deliverability and IPs with high Sender Scores had high deliverability.
- We launched a podcast featuring Return Path experts talking about what they know best – email deliverability and reputation. (As we look ahead a bit, we’ll soon start featuring clients, partners and other email industry stars on the guest list.)
- We also produced IN: The Email Reputation Conference at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. This was the biggest event in Return Path history and we got absolutely amazing feedback from everyone involved – attendees, speakers, clients and prospects (or, as our CEO Matt Blumberg likes to call them, “pre-clients”).
- We acquired our largest competitor, Habeas, and changed the structure of the business so we could focus 100% of our time, energy, resources and focus on one thing: email reputation services for commercial senders and large-volume receivers.
- We announced that Yahoo! would soon be using Sender Score Certified, a huge milestone for us that means Sender Score Certified covers more than 1.2 billion inboxes around the world.
Whew! What a year.
But don’t worry, we aren’t resting on any laurels. We have a really big year planned for 2009. I can’t wait to report back next December when we will be celebrating our diamond anniversary.
About Anita Absey
Anita Absey, General Manager of Consumer Insight, joined Return Path in 2003 with extensive experience helping marketers create profitable and engaging email programs. Anita has held several executive positions at Return Path, leading both the Global Sales and Global Services teams during her tenure. She now leads the Consumer Insight business where she focuses on using the power of consumer preferences and buying data to help marketers and brands make informed decisions about engaging with customers. A veteran of the database and digital marketing industry and a self-proclaimed “data junkie,” she helps some of the world’s smartest marketers successfully integrate data and technology into their customer acquisition and customer relationship management programs. She is an active member of the Direct Marketing Association, having served as the Chair of the Ethics Operating Committee and as co-Chair of the Email Experience Council. Prior to Return Path Anita spent much of her career at Acxiom and Abacus Direct (acquired by Doubleclick). She holds a BA in Economics from Fordham University.